



As Gary and Hobart await Lake County Commissioners’ decision on convention center proposals, Hard Rock Casino has made an initial investment of $50,000 into television and digital advertisements.
“Our focus is to educate people about the project and build excitement for the new local jobs and economic opportunities this will create,” Pat Kremer, spokesperson for Hard Rock, said in an email. “No tax dollars were used for these ads and no new tax dollars will be needed for the project if the Gary location is selected.”
Hard Rock released commercials advertising the benefits of the Lake County Convention Center in Gary. The 30-second commercial did not include that Hobart also submitted a proposal or that other Lake County communities had the opportunity to submit a proposal.
The commercial features Gary sites and prominent community members expressing their support for Gary to be chosen, including Mayor Eddie Melton.
“This will put Gary and all of Lake County back on the map,” Melton said in the commercial, which launched March 22.
The commercial boasts that, if chosen, the convention center will be located one minute off the interstate and create jobs throughout Lake County. It also calls Hard Rock “one of the world’s most successful companies.”
“We are excited that Hard Rock has decided to independently fund a commercial for our joint proposal for a new Lake County Convention Center in Gary,” Erika Blackwell, chief communications officer for Gary, said in an email. “We appreciate their investment in educating the public on this historic opportunity for our community. This advertising was not funded with any tax dollars, just as the City of Gary’s proposed Lake County Convention Center will not require any new tax dollars from Lake County residents.”
In 2023, as a state senator, Melton crafted Senate Bill 434, creating the Lake County Convention and Economic Development Fund. The fund was designated for convention center creation, the Blighted Property Demolition Fund, and revitalization of the Gary Metro Station to complement the South Shore Double Tracking project.
In his original legislation, Melton intended for the convention center to go to Gary, but other legislators blocked language specifying the city as the location, Melton has previously said.
Language was shifted to give the convention center to Lake County. Commissioners will decide where the project will be depending on proposals, which came from Gary and Hobart.
Commissioners have until May 31 to make a decision, according to state statute.
Melton previously said funding for the three projects will come from wagering taxes generated at Hard Rock, according to Post-Tribune archives. The convention center will be paid through gaming taxes, state matching funds and $30 million over 20 years from Hard Rock, according to archives.
“I am confident that under Gary Mayor Melton’s and Lake County’s leadership, we will work together to deliver a state-of-the-art, 145,000-square foot convention center next to the existing Hard Rock Casino Northern Indiana,” Matt Schuffert, president of Hard Rock Casino Northern Indiana, said in a statement.
Gary’s proposal is for a 145,000-square-foot convention center and Hard Rock Hotel near the casino. The property would also have space for two more hotels, including one REVERB by Hard Rock Hotel that will be co-developed and managed by Hard Rock. The center would also include two restaurants and retail spaces.
The city of Hobart and Garfield Public/Private LLC submitted a proposal for a 149,000-square-foot facility at Patriot Park. The developer envisions space surrounding the convention center would include an existing 70-unit veterans transitioning housing along with three other residential buildings that would contain 680 market-rate units; two 100-unit hotels; a 55-acre youth sports complex; mixed retail/office buildings; five multi-tenant, retail and restaurant buildings and five flex office warehouse buildings, among other amenities, according to Post-Tribune archives.
The Hobart City Council on March 19 granted preliminary Planned Unit Development approval for Patriot Park. Final reading of the ordinance will take place at the council’s April 16 meeting, according to Post-Tribune archives.
mwilkins@chicagotribune.com