Say this about Mike Glennon: The kid comes prepared. It's just the way he's wired as a detail-oriented, Type-A grinder. That much was evident Friday at Halas Hall when Glennon was introduced as the Bears' new quarterback and prized free-agent signee.

On the same day he put ink to paper on a three-year contract worth up to $45 million with $18.5 million guaranteed, Glennon chronicled how he had set his sights on joining the Bears months ago.

The 27-year-old had done extensive research on his free-agency options and became enamored of the fit that seemed to be awaiting him in Chicago. He had studied film and seen how the Bears offense could accentuate his skill set. He had been impressed with the running game behind rookie Jordan Howard. He appreciated the grit and sturdiness of the offensive line.

“That,” Glennon said, “was a place where I wanted to go. ... I'm just excited that it all worked out the way that I had hoped and envisioned.”

And if that isn't a snapshot of the quarterback's meticulous preparation, then consider the anecdote Bears general manager Ryan Pace shared of the conversation he had with Glennon after they had agreed to join forces earlier this week.

Immediately, Glennon had requests for his new boss. A lot of them.

Not only did he want a playbook, not only did he want video of the Bears offense downloaded to his iPad, he also wanted the phone numbers of his offensive teammates plus pictures and names of staff members all around Halas Hall. He needed to study up.

Said Pace: “I think that tells you something about a guy when that's kind of his mindset before he even walks in the building.”

Added Glennon: “As the quarterback of the team, you should know people's names and have those relationships.”

For better or worse, the Bears are beginning a new chapter at quarterback. Thursday's separation from Jay Cutler ensured they would have a new opening-day starter for the first time since 2008. So now they'll roll the dice on Glennon as the latest quarterback of the future — for the time being.

The structure of Glennon's contract — with 86 percent of the guaranteed money due this season — offers the Bears a convenient emergency exit next offseason if things don't pan out. But Pace's hope, obviously, is that his scouting instincts are on point.

On Friday, the Bears GM lauded Glennon's height — 6-foot-6 — his arm strength, his intelligence and his ability to see the field. Within all that, Pace sees potential.

“I don't know how high the ceiling is,” Pace said. “I'm just glad we have him in the mix as our starting quarterback to compete and get better.”

It remains to be seen how exactly Glennon's arrival will affect the way the Bears fill out the remainder of their quarterback depth chart. But Pace was emphatic Friday in declaring who was inked onto the top line.

“Mike Glennon's our starting quarterback,” Pace said, “and we're fired up about that.”

The GM also acknowledged that the signing may affect where the Bears select a quarterback in next month's draft. “We're going to take the best player (available) at every pick,” he said.

Still, uncertainty about Glennon's potential will linger deep into the fall. After all, he has started only 18 games in four NFL seasons and none since November 2014.

He was 5-13 as a starter with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, losing his job to Josh McCown in 2014 and later being shoved into permanent backup duties when the Bucs drafted Jameis Winston with the No. 1 pick in 2015.

So there are no guarantees he will suddenly have a successful breakthrough with the Bears, whose last Pro Bowl quarterback was Jim McMahon in 1985 — nearly four years before Glennon was born.

Pace, though, is hopeful for what the future might hold.

Glennon arrived Friday with confidence that he can win games and win over a city.

And he expressed enthusiasm that for the first time in his NFL career, he's positioned to be a Week 1 starter.

“That gives you a sense of ownership,” he said. “I'm in charge and I'm excited for that opportunity that I really haven't had before. It's something that I've worked for and really looked forward to.

“Finally, I have that opportunity.”

dwiederer@chicagotribune.com

Twitter @danwiederer

What's the deal?

Mike Glennon, QB, 3 years, $43M

Quintin Demps, S, 3 years, $13.5M

Dion Sims, TE, 3 years, $18M

Markus Wheaton, WR, 2 years, TBA

Prince Amukamara, CB, 1 year, $7M

Alshon Jeffery, Eagles, 1 year, $14M

Brian Hoyer, 49ers, 2 years, $10M

Matt Barkley, 49ers, 2 years, TBA

Ted Larsen, Dolphins, TBA

Logan Paulsen, 49ers, TBA