A year ago, Red Sox first baseman Mitch Moreland pushed through 149 games despite a left toe injury that nagged him the much of the season.
The injury had larger ramifications in the offseason.
In October, Moreland underwent medial meniscus surgery on his left knee.
This season, a point of emphasis for Red Sox manager Alex Cora was making sure Moreland’s workload didn’t wear him down.
On Friday, Moreland was out of the lineup for the second straight game with left knee soreness, but he was available to pinch hit.
“This whole ‘grinder’ and ‘I’ll play through injuries,’ it’s good to hear, it’s cool to see, but sometimes we’ve got to be smart about it because we need these guys healthy,’’ Cora said. “That’s the most important thing. If it’s up to Mitch, he’s not coming out of the lineup. So we’ve got to be careful with that.’’
Over 81 games, Moreland has hit .273 with 12 home runs and 47 RBIs, earning his first All-Star nod, all the while managing his surgically repaired left knee.
“This is a guy we have to take care of,’’ Cora said. “I’m not saying workload has to do with it. Just he’s a big guy moving around.’’
Moreland said he could have been plugged in the lineup Friday if necessary and expects to be back over the weekend.
“I think just maybe a little bit of the weather conditions and it being a little slick out there, kind of bouncing around a little bit, it just kind of flared up a little bit,’’ he said.
Prior to this season, Moreland had played at least 114 games in all but two of his eight years in the majors. Cora’s approach to rest is a departure from the norm, but a welcome one.
“I think Alex has a done a great job with us all this year with kind of the scheduled off days,’’ Moreland said. “It wasn’t quite like that five, seven years ago. It wasn’t that way. But I think it kind of keeps everybody from getting too banged up and having to fight through stuff as much. So he’s done a great job with it, and we’ve got such a deep team, we’re able to do that. Guys can step up and help us win, night in and night out.’’
Rodriguez updateAfter visiting with Dr. Peter Asnis Thursday, Eduardo Rodriguez played catch on flat ground Friday.
Rodriguez has been on the disabled list since July 15 with a right ankle sprain, and there were concerns the injury would sideline the 25-year-old lefthander for an extended period.
He still has to wear a walking boot, but can throw to keep his arm in shape, Cora said.
The next stop will be a visit with a team specialist this weekend.
“That looks pretty good to see him walking around, but it doesn’t mean that he’ll be ready in two weeks or whatever,’’ Cora said. “We have to make sure that the specialist comes in and we take the next step.’’
Duo improvingCora described the progress in Dustin Pedroia’s rehab as steady. The second baseman went to Arizona to continue his recovery from left knee inflammation that has limited him to just three games this season.
“I’m positive about it,’’ Cora said. “But we’re not going to push him. We sent him over there for a reason, for a new way of rehabbing him. So we have to be patient.’’
Steven Wright, who underwent the same cartilage replacement procedure as Pedroia last year, is also recovering from left knee inflammation.
The knuckleballer threw on flat ground Friday.
“Another good day for him,’’ Cora said. “At least one step toward the right direction.’’
Bullpen optionsEven with Joe Kelly’s recent struggles, Cora feels comfortable with the Sox’ options out of the bullpen for the seventh inning.
Among Heath Hembree, Ryan Brasier and Brian Johnson, Cora said potential matchups should be covered.
Hembree was charged with his first blown save of the season Thursday. After stranding two inherited runners in the sixth inning, he gave up the tying run on a double-play ball and three hits in the seventh.
But since June 2, he’s 2-0 with a 2.55 ERA. Overall this season, he’s stranded 20 of the 23 runners he’s inherited. He’s also held lefthanders to a .161 batting average since May 18.
“Heath is good against lefties,’’ Cora said. “I think Heath has done a good job against lefties, but at the same time I like what he’s done when there’s traffic too.’’
Brasier threw a perfect ninth inning in Thursday’s 2-1 loss. It was the third time in his seven appearances this season in which he didn’t allow a baserunner. All seven of his appearances this season have been scoreless. He allowed one run in his inning of work in Friday’s 4-3 win in 10 innings.
With Drew Pomeranz back from the disabled list and Nathan Eovaldi joining the rotation, Johnson will go to the bullpen, giving Cora another arm.
“Somebody has to step,’’ Cora said. “That’s the whole thing.’’
Twins call up SanoThe Twins shipped third baseman Eduardo Escobar to the Diamondbacks Friday in exchange for three minor leaguers. Minnesota called up Miguel Sanofrom Triple A Rochester . . . If the teams stay in order, the pitching matchups for the Yankees series that starts on Thursday at Fenway are set. The first game would be CC Sabathia vs. Chris Sale, followed by Luis Severino vs. Rick Porcello, J.A. Happ vs. Nathan Eovaldi, and Masahiro Tanaka vs. David Price . . . Best wishes to longtime Red Sox employee and visiting clubhouse manager Joe Cochran, who’s been away from the team this month with an ailment.
Julian Benbow can be reached at jbenbow@globe.com.

